4.8.08

Skip Carey

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2008/08/03/skip_caray_dies.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

Skip Carey passed away this week and there won't be a shortage of people mourning his death. I wanted to write a little bit about it here. My dad was a huge Braves fan growing up, as most Southerners are. He followed the Braves when I was in elementary and middle school everyday, and tried to make me a Braves fan as well. I turned out liking the Marlins who were just starting and were much closer to my Southwest Florida home. However I can remember watching Braves games with my dad back when they were still on TBS every day. I can remember watching day baseball and seeing Maddux move the ball from corner to corner, and David Justice hit the ball what seemed like a mile from the left side of the plate. Skip Carey was a voice of my youth. I couldn't tell you who called Marlins games back then, but even to this day I will watch Braves games to hear Skip Carey sing the praises of Chipper Jones and Bobby Cox. Skip Carey doesn't know the little kids all around the country who became Braves fans during their run of division title, but I can bet that I'm not the only one who is sad about his passing today.

No comments: