4.8.08

Kool Beanz Cafe

Recently on my lunch break my friend Jon and I decided to eat somewhere good for lunch instead of the usual sandwich, or burger joint. In Tallahassee this can be difficult, because there aren't that many good, original resturants. Jon's favorite here in town is Kool Beanz Cafe so we headed off.

Kool Beanz is a local resturant that hires locally and tries to shop locally for the most part. I enjoy its eclectic New Orleans Jazz infused art and heavily tattooed staff. Especially because I am moderately tattooed. We sat at the bar to watch the kitchen work, and gawk at all of the meals coming off. Kool Beanz' menu changes almost everytime I have been, however there are staples that don't. Jon goes for the chorizo, rice mojo chicken that is his go to dish if he can't decide. I ordered the lamb burger with goat cheese and cherry pepper relish. This may seem a little redundant because the last post was fajitas with goat cheese but it really is a coincedence.

The burger was a beautiful dish served with eggplant fries that were coated in panko. The lamb was thick and juicy and cooked medium without even asking for a temperature, which to me should be asked for on any ground meat. However I would have ordered medium so I was okay with it. Goat cheese can over power lots of dishes however the lamb stood up to it very well and the cherry pepper relish added a touch of sweetness without playing too far into the sweet/savory dance that can be difficult to pull off. It was one of the best burgers I have ever had, and definately the best "out of the box" burger I have tasted. I would suggest anyone who hasn't eaten there to give it a go. Try it for lunch and it is much more moderately priced.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kool beanz is awesome

let's go to another restaurant to review