16.12.08

New Orleans Eats: Supper Day 1

So it may seem like I am just enjoying all of the food I am eating without any discretion of palette. But really I am trying to tell you straight how it is. The food has just been that outstanding, part is because we have taken suggestions, and part is checking out menus that suit our tastes. For supper we went to a restaurant that boasts a CIA trained (and N.O. native chef) and a 17 barrel brewery. The Crescent City Brewhouse did not disappoint.

We skipped appetizers, and the bread was okay, just a crusty french yeast bread with a little sour taste. However the two entrees were outstanding.

Mine: A crispy fried soft shell crab topped with a crawfish-vermouth creme sauce and artichoke bottoms and hericot verts. I felt it was perfectly balanced, subtle and tasteful. I don't even like "green beans" but the sauce made me want them. The crab was not soggy, there was no lack of crawfish tails, and the vermouth barely fell across the toungue. Jon liked it but found it a little bland, where I felt it was perfectly subtle. It needed acid but they supplied a lemon wedge which I used (it could have used maybe a tiny bit more I'm nit-picking.) Truly what I expect from an upscale "creole" restaurant.

Jon's: Crispy Duck with an andoiulle-cornbread dressing, pepper jelly, and southern greens. The dish was not southern fried, but executed how many in asia and france do, by slowly roasting the duck and flash frying it to crisp the skin. EXECUTION PERFECT. The sauce reminded me of asian flavors, but the cornbread dressing was a wildly traditional southern dish. This dish was a great concept, and while not what I expected still great. Jon thought it was perfect, but I thought the flavors were a little bold and strong for my palette (although still delicious, again I'm nit-picking)

Jon also tried a sampler of 4 of their beers, and three of them were very successful (to both of us) and the last was not as good.

No comments: