17.12.08

New Orleans Eats: Lunch Day 2

I decided to forego breakfast to get some sleep in after a late night last night. For lunch we hit up Johnny's Po'boys. They make pretty much anything you want into a traditional New Orleans style Po'boy. From in house made sausage, to veal, to seafood. Originally I was wanting to do an oyster Po'boy but when I got there I decided on the crawfish. The crawfish itself was excellent. The tails were much larger than the ones that we get in Florida and that made a difference. They were battered and deep fried, with an excellent crunch to them. However that is pretty much the whole highlight of the sandwich to me (albeit an important part.) It came with mayo, lettuce, tomato and pickle (I left off the pickle because regular dill pickles disgust me.) The bread was a traditional 12" crusty hoagie bread with good crunch on the outside but wasn't really soft and was too dry. It may have been day old, I'm not sure.

There were a lot of locals, and in fact were pointed in the direction of Johnny's by a local in one of the shops. However I feel like it may get by more on the name and tradition these days unlike Cafe Du Monde and especially Gumbo Shop. It was good, but not great and in fact I have had better Po'boy sandwiches. The portions were huge. I couldn't finish more than half of the food.

The sides Jon and I were split on. I got the red beans and rice and they were not all that good. They had smoked hamhock in them but were cooked to mush and not seasoned well at all. Again huge portions. Jon liked his sweet potato fries but I absolutely hated them. They were fried well but had what seemed like pounds of sugar and cinnamon on them. I couldn't eat more than one. So one was over seasoned, and one was under seasoned. The sandwich was worth the money and I could see myself returning one day, especially given the size and quality of the seafood (Jon got calamari), but the rest was below average.

No comments: