6.11.08

Kobe (Wagyu) Beef Burger

When in Atlanta for the Florida State vs. Georgia Tech football game last weekend my friends and I ate at the Cheescake factory in the perimeter mall. I had eaten at Cheesecake factory a few times before that, and had a positive experience so I was looking forward to it. I decided to try their "American Kobe beef burger", which is not really Kobe beef but a similar hybrid of original Kobe beef cows and American Angus cows. They are fed and massaged in the same manner to promote tenderness and marblized fat content throughout. The American version is called Wagyu beef.

This was my first experience with Wagyu beef although I had seen it prepared, and read about it before. I was extremely anxious to try it. Honestly the beef was tender and almost melted at impact with my teeth. They cooked it medium and the fat wasn't anywhere near cooked out which kept the burger moist and juicy, The flavor was subtle but beefy still. The only problem I had was just how tender it was. It left nothing "to the tooth" I have a sneaking suspicion that if the burger had been made with 80% Wagyu beef and 20% Angus sirloin it would have been perfect, and one of the best burgers I had ever eaten.

It was served with thick strips of well cooked bacon, deeply carmelized onions, and a toated briosche bun that had been buttered and put on a flat top. It was excellent.

No comments: