14.9.08

Sweet potatoes.



Unabashed, I love sweet potatoes. Most of the time I just enjoy them baked with a little butter, salt, pepper, red pepper, and sugar. However I wanted to start using them in different ways. A couple months ago I made a jalapeno and sweet potato mash that I thoroughly enjoyed. Last week I made a dish that will probably stay in the main rotation for quite a while. Initially they were sweet potato pancakes, but my roommate bought a deep fryer for the kitchen (a post about this is going to come soon) and I made them as smaller fritters. Same batter just smaller and less pancake shaped.

2 sweet potatoes
2 eggs whites
2 roasted jalapenos
2 ears of sweet corn
a pinch of kosher salt
approx 1 1/2 tbsp cracked black pepper
bread crumbs
sugar to taste

Begin by baking the sweet potatoes until fully cooked and then remove the meat from the inside into a large mixing bowl. Add all of the ingredients except the bread crumbs and combine. Add the bread crumbs in small amounts until the batter is no longer noticeably wet. It will thicken up and you will be able to handle it in your hands fairly easily without it sticking. Form into small pancakes (and pan fry) or fritters a little smaller than a golf ball (and deep fry.)

1 comment:

Andy J Scott said...

got a bunch of sweet potatoes, wish i had a deep fryer, these look tasty.