8.9.08

Summer lunch at my brother's house.

When my mom came up to Tallahassee from Ft.Myers I made lunch for Gi (my girlfriend), Kristen (my sister in law), Sandy (my mom) and myself (me.) I wanted to use lots of vegetables because Kristen, and to a smaller effect my mom love vegetables. Not to say they don't enjoy meat, I just wanted to keep it light. I prepared two things. Asparugus that had been wrapped in proscuitto, and a jicama salad with shrimp.

Aspargus:

I par boiled the green vegetable leaving a bit of a bite to it. Afterwards I shock it in an ice water bath to stop the cooking. Then I wrapped it with the cured ham. After the bundles were assembled I sprinkled them with salt and fresah ground black pepper and sauteed them until they were warm all the way through and the proscuitto was crisp on both sides. It looked like this.



The salad was made of red onion ( I prefer it slightly cooked and in thin long strips, however I left it raw), jicama that has been cut into thick julienne cuts, cucumber that is cut just like the jicama, and shrimp. I used pink shrimp that were 31-35 size. The shrimp are sauteed with garlic before the salad is assembled and shocked just like the asparagus was.

The last part of the salad is the dressing which is a red wine vinegarette. It consists of red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, spicy mustard (I used Boar's Head brand), honey, salt, pepper, and celery salt. I didn't measure any of it but just made it to my taste. Vinegarettes are simple one you learn them so practice is just the key. Drizzle the oil in after everything else has been whisked well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the asparagus was delicious!!! and i'm sure i would've enjoyed the salad a little more if i liked jicama or raw onions. good job mister!!

-gi

ps. i should totally get some props for the awesome bundling. =]