2.9.08

September call-ups: Marlins

So it is September, and my team is out of the chase for all intents and purposes. However this is the time of year that rosters get expanded so teams can go to a 40 man roster. Teams usually call up as few people as they can, because of Major League service time, and starting arbitration clocks, and whatnot. The Marlins called up a bunch of also-rans that we have seen pulled up a few times for spot starts. The likes of Andino, Carrol, Miller, De La Cruz, and McPherson get nobody extremely excited. Although I did just learn McPherson was leading minor leagues with 42 home runs.

I fully expected Cameron Maybin to get called up. I was in the line of thinking that getting potential abover average everyday players some time in September was a good idea. I have no idea what his Major League experience is as far as arbitration, but I know he is yet to see the light of day in Florida. I do know that he has been up and down this season but is posting a respectable .375 OBP, and .831 OPS, and it has jumped to .898 since the all-star break, all while playing CF. Cameron still may get called up, and there are tons of things he still needs to work on (like his 120 Ks vs. 60 BB.) But I think that if we expect him to fill the hole at center that is currently filled by 4th/5th outfielders, we need to see what he can do in the bigs.

No comments: