12.1.09

Back to my roots food.



I made an old school southern soul food dinner tonight with my own spins.

Fried chicken- Just did the breasts, so I guess they are chicken tenders. Marinated in half and half, egg, and louisiana hot sauce before being battered and deep fried at 375 degrees.

Collard greens- boiled and then combined with onions that have been cooked down, salt, pepper, cream and a little bit of vinegar. Collards traditionally are finished with a little cider vinegar.

Blackeye peas- cooked with smoked Jowl bacon and finished with pepper sauce.

Cornbread- whole corn kernels and 2 diced jalapenos are mixed into the batter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent! especially collard greens

More Credible said...

Not a collard greens dude, but I do like fried chicken and corn bread...

mmm... corn bread...

Cait said...

Hey, Matt...I saw your comment on Hornets24/7 - and I gather you're a Nole. Are you here in NOLA?

I ask because I'm working with the university to restart our alumni club in the area. :)